Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Recipe request: My favorite fruit smoothie that gets my motor runnin---and keeps me going and full for hours!



I love food.  I love to cook/concoct, and I love to eat!  Because of my brain injury and multiple sclerosis, I need to keep an eye on my diet.  The food that I choose to eat needs to give me enough energy, protein, and nutrition to help fuel my body and keep me as functional as possible.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not adverse to eating not-so-healthy food, but everything in moderation! What it comes down to for me, is that the better I eat, the better I feel, so I do try to stay healthy for the most part, and indulge my cravings in moderation.

I was telling a friend about my favorite breakfast, my homemade fruit smoothie, and she requested the recipe.  I figured that I'd share it all with you here as well ;-) 

Since fresh, local fruit has not come into season here in Colorado yet, I use frozen fruit; which I will swap out with fruit from local farmers once it comes in season (Mmm, can't wait!)

Jersey Girl's Fresh Fruit Smoothie

1 1/2 c of fruit (I use a mix of strawberries, mango, peaches and pineapple---yum!)
1/2    c of blueberries (they have a lot of healthy antioxidants)
1    large banana
1 cup whole grain oats (they keep you full for a good, long time!)
1/2-1c of nonfat yogurt (any flavor--my favorites are vanilla or strawberry-banana)
2 Tbs. of ground flax seed (flax is good for so many things! Hair, nails, digestion, and has even been said to be a natural pain reliever.  Don't worry, you can't taste it and the kiddos won't even know its in there!)

Measure the ingredients into a blender and cover the above with enough milk (which ever kind you choose). Blend to achieve the consistency you prefer.  Enjoy! 

*If you use fresh fruit, you can freeze it ahead of time, or add ice cubes to get the frozen factor that makes this smoothie simply delish!  I would go with freezing the fruit ahead of time so as not to dilute the natural flavors with ice...but that's just me ;-) 


Makes 2-3 servings

~Kimberly 

No comments: